Victims of Violence: Video Program Guide
This video includes insights from Superior Court judges, investigators, district attorneys, prosecutors, victim-witness personnel, and the public defender. It also includes personal stories of hard-hit crime victims from diverse backgrounds and communities.
In addition to teaching victims how to best work with law enforcement, the video discusses:
- Who’s who in the investigation and the various law-enforcement roles.
- Understanding the system, a very long process that involves arrests, arraignment, indictment, plea bargain, hearings, motions, delays, trial, testimony, conviction, sentencing, appeals, possible parole, and parole hearings.
- What information an officer needs and what could help or jeopardize the investigation.
- How a victim should properly get information to the investigator.
- How the investigator pieces the case together and then turns it over to the prosecutor.
- Understanding the importance of good note taking and the need to be accurate and consistent throughout the case.
- Understanding “discovery” and its impact on the case.
- Understanding the time restraints and investigative limits of officers and how to respect their time.
- Understanding the painful reality that family members may be suspects and may be investigated.
- Additional problems and emotional pain that may be caused by the accused/ defense, false allegations, the media, and public interest in the case.
- How to handle intimidation during testimony/during the trial and tactics that may be used by the defense.
- The “impact statement.”
Chapter 1 - Victims' Stories (9 min.)
Chapter 2 - In the Aftermath of Crime (13 min.)
- Eliminating Suspects
- Who’s Who in the Investigation
- Being Open with Information
- Keeping Notes
- Putting the Case Together
Chapter 3 - The Criminal Justice System (55 min.)
- Charging Decisions
- Pre-Trial Hearings
- The Presumption of Innocence
- Pre-Trial Motions
- Delays, Continuances and Special Considerations
- Role of the DA
- Role of the Defense
- Role of the Judge
- Victim Advocacy
- Rights of the Defendant
- Victims’ Rights / Marsy's Law
- Unsolved Cases
Chapter 4 - Trial (15 min.)
- Jury Selection and the Trial Process
- Victim Impact Statements
Chapter 5 - Enduring (5 min.)
Chapter 6 - Glossary and Terminology (3 min.)