Changing Attitudes... Improving Training... Increasing Accountability... Mobilizing Leadership...
Two Officers Killed in Separate Single Vehicle Collisions in Two Days
April 14, 2017
"On Tuesday, April 11, 2017, Trooper Anthony Borostowski of the Wisconsin State Patrol was killed in a single-vehicle crash when his patrol car left the roadway and struck a tree. The day before that, Lowndes County (Alabama) Sheriff’s Deputy Levy Pettway was killed in a single-vehicle crash when his patrol vehicle left the roadway and struck several trees.” Read the full article at Policeone.com.
Not even four months into the year and we have seen 6 law enforcement officers die in single vehicle collisions. They stand out as tragic examples of what must be considered preventable line-of-duty deaths.
Here are some important facts:
- Unsafe speed is the leading cause of law enforcement fatal and injury collisions.
- Almost one half of fatal peace officer collisions are single-vehicle.
- Almost one half of fatal peace officer collisions are with a fixed object such as a guardrail, power pole, or tree.
- The majority of vehicle-related officer fatalities occur while enroute to a call for service, where driving at a high rate of speed is generally not necessary.
- Distraction and fatigue are major contributing factors in officer-involved collisions.
- Without a seatbelt, you are almost three times more likely to die in a collision.
It is important that we continually refresh and renew our driving safety awareness. The POST “Did You Know? SAFE Driving video series are under three minute video spots that deliver a strong training message in a quick and dynamic way. View all SAFE Driving videos available.
Wear your seatbelt, watch your speed, and practice SAFE driving!
The SAFE Driving Campaign is a POST initiative focused on reducing fatal and serious injury law enforcement traffic collisions nationwide. For further information regarding the SAFE Driving Campaign, visit the SAFE Driving Campaign on the POST Website or contact:
Janna Munk, POST Senior Consultant
Training Program Services Bureau