Professional Certificates Program

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Answers

The following information provides answers to the most frequently asked questions related to POST certificates:

1. Where can I obtain a POST certificate application form?
You can download the certificate application (doc) from the POST Website or, if you are employed as a peace officer, you can obtain copies of the application forms from your department training manager.

2. Can POST put a “rush” on application processing?
No, but POST will make a determination, on a case-by-case basis, to give priority to an application if there is a compliance issue or promotional exam pending.

3. What is needed for the Basic Certificate?
To request a Basic Certificate, mail a completed, and signed POST 2-116 (doc) application to POST. To be eligible for the Basic Certificate, the applicant must:

  • Have completed the Regular Basic Course
  • Have completed the department's probationary period; and
  • Currently be employed as a full-time peace officer by an agency in the POST program. An applicant who is designated as  a peace officer pursuant to California Penal Code § 832.4 may also apply for a POST Basic certificate

4. What is the application process turn around time?
The turnaround time for non-Basic Certificate applications is approximately 2 months.

5. Are website transcripts acceptable?
No, they are not acceptable. A photocopy of the applicant's official transcript or a copy of the college degree is required.

6. If I qualify for more than one certificate, can I put both certificate names in Block 1 of the certificate form POST 2-116 application?

7. Can you send me a list of the accredited colleges?

No. You can research such a list on the Western Association of Schools and Colleges website or the Distance Education and Training Council website. Also, see the book Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education (published by the American Council on Education).

8. Can we use the same two years experience for both the Supervisory and the Management Certificate?
No, a total of four years of service is required to earn both the Supervisory and the Management Certificate. See the POST Administrative Manual, Regulations 9070 (i) and 9070 (i) (pdf), for the exact requirements.

9. Can I get a PC 832 Arrest and Firearms Course certificate?
No, the course presenter issues the certificate of course completion for this course.

10. Can I get a copy of my certificate?
Yes. POST can reissue a certificate that has been lost, stolen, or destroyed. To obtain a certificate copy, complete the Request for Reissuance of POST Certificate POST 2-250 (doc) and mail it to POST.